Consultation on children’s centres extended after more than 1,900 people have their say

A consultation on proposed changes to early help services across Bucks, which could see 35 children’s centres being axed, has been extended after more than 1,900 people responded.

Last month the Bucks Free Press reported that the “vital” children’s centres across the county could be axed and replaced with nine hubs if new proposals are given the green light.

Buckinghamshire County Council proposed to introduce a new early help service, which will see nine teams of lead family workers working in community settings across the county, including people’s homes, which bosses said could save the council £3.3 million.

But campaigners feared that the nine hubs could mean that the 35 children’s centres which currently operate around Bucks could be closed.

A consultation opened in July, with people and organisations around Bucks being asked to complete a survey, available online and in Bucks libraries, which was originally open until September 22.

Now, with more than 1,900 responses, the county council has announced that it will be extended by more than three weeks, until October 16, and said it has added more details about the current services included, as well as how these might change and what the proposed new service could look like.

Warren Whyte, cabinet member for children’s services said: “I am really pleased there has been such a good response to the consultation so far.

“I want people to know that we are listening, which is why we have added more information about what the proposed change could mean for current services and the future.

But campaigners feared that the nine hubs could mean that the 35 children’s centres which currently operate around Bucks could be closed.

A consultation opened in July, with people and organisations around Bucks being asked to complete a survey, available online and in Bucks libraries, which was originally open until September 22.

Now, with more than 1,900 responses, the county council has announced that it will be extended by more than three weeks, until October 16, and said it has added more details about the current services included, as well as how these might change and what the proposed new service could look like.

Warren Whyte, cabinet member for children’s services said: “I am really pleased there has been such a good response to the consultation so far.

“I want people to know that we are listening, which is why we have added more information about what the proposed change could mean for current services and the future.

“We want to join up services for families to make it much easier for residents who need help to obtain it.

“I’d encourage you to have your say and help us shape the very best services for children and their families for the future.”

 

Article originally appeared on Bucks Free Press

 

The Institute cannot confirm the accuracy of this story or confirm that it presents a balanced view. If you feel this is inaccurate we would welcome your perspective and evidence that this is the case.

This article was originally published by Bucks Free Press.

Continue Reading

Sign up to receive our newsletter

    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
By signing up to our mailing list, you agree to our terms and conditions. You can unsubscribe at anytime by clicking here.